Tuesday 14 February 2023

"Mad Girl's Love Song" by Sylvia Plath


Mad Girl's Love Song

By Sylvia Plath



"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

The stars go waltzing out in blue and red,
And arbitrary blackness gallops in:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed
And sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

God topples from the sky, hell's fires fade:
Exit seraphim and Satan's men:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I fancied you'd return the way you said,
But I grow old and I forget your name.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

I should have loved a thunderbird instead;
At least when spring comes they roar back again.
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)"


Happy Valentine's Day!


To all the imaginary worlds.
To unrequited and reciprocated love.
To the incomparable love of friendship.

The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/feb/08/top-10-love-poems-valentines-day-meena-kandasamy-the-book-of-desire

El País (the finding of this article is courtesy of Belén T): Silvia Plath Liberada de su Propio Mito;"  https://elpais.com/noticias/sylvia-plath/

"Sylvia Plath's famous collection Ariel is far darker than she envisaged" (the finding of this article is courtesy of María José Montes). Click here to access this article.



1 comment:

  1. Sylvia Plath ....Brilliant poet.She died before she had been acknowledged to be one of the greatest poets in
    the 20th century. I love her intense even violent images and her strongly- emotional rhythmical poetry . Thanks Ann and Belen for sharing!! Happy Saint Valentine!!

    ReplyDelete

Letters to Sylvia Plath from "The Word Depot"

  LETTERS TO SYLVIA FROM THE WORD DEPOT de Ana María Sánchez Mosquera